Home   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join
Certification Requirements FAQ

Yes, if you are pursuing a Technician Certification, you will need to pass the exam and complete the work experience, but they can be completed in any order.

No. The designations are merely to define the general type of work you are doing. In a broad sense; are you working on a boat or are you working behind a desk? Someone that works behind a desk is not going to have the hands on work experience that someone in the field is going to have.

  • A Certified Technician is someone earns their income building or servicing boats.
  • A Certified Advisor is someone who earns their income consulting, engineering, or otherwise managing boating service or manufacturing projects

You will not need to submit work experience forms until you are up for recertification.

There are several ways that CEUs can be earned: Online courses, participating in ABYC events, attending other industry events and more. The CEUs are not intended to be an income stream for ABYC. Instead they are intended to be a way of further educating and engaging our certification holders. ABYC will provide enough CEUs for FREE for members to meet the CEU requirement.

The Master Technician title is for those who have earned 3 Technician Certifications. The exception to that is the Standards Certification which has no Advisor/Technician Designation.

No, you can take the exam or submit work experience forms in any order.

  • Current certification holders that wish to pursue a Technician Certification will need to submit a work experience form in addition to passing the appropriate recertification exam.
  • Current certification holders that wish to pursue an Advisor Certification are grandfathered from needing CEUs during the phase in period as there is not adequate time to earn the CEUs.
Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal